Monday, September 28, 2009

Running terminology for the new runner

When I read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall I was interested in running and I wanted to read more, so I bought a couple magazines with a running theme. The problem was, they were written in a different language only people familiar with running know. They were peppered with running specific lingo and nowhere did I find what the terms, abbreviations meant. Now, some I could get from context clues, but it shouldn't be that hard to read.

I understand that magazines are written for niche audiences and it's the niche that keeps them alive, but as a new reader I should be able to pick up a copy of Runner's World and understand it. Sadly, I could only mostly understand it. So, what do I do when I don't know something? I hit the internet with both feet! What I found was Valley Forge Striders "running terms" page that told me everything I needed to know. Runner's World could stand to use a page in the back of their magazine for the new reader. If you're a new runner check out this page to get some new running words so you can run with the big dogs... and understand what they're saying!

No comments: