Sunday, July 25, 2010

You know what push ups are? Repetitive is what.

I won't lie. Last time I was here I was talking about the 100 Push Ups program. While I'm sure it's a great program by the time I was up over 80 push ups I was bored with it.

You know what's boring? Staring at your carpet while you hump up and down on it... yeah... you know... when you say it like that it doesn't sound as bad as it was.

But that's not the point! The point is that doing any repetitive exercise that many times in a row is repetitious and repetition is, as I've said repeatedly, the hobgoblin of boredom. And boredom is, without being repetitive, not something that makes me want to repeat something. Especially if it's something that's repetitious. You see what I'm doing here right? Repeating repetitious over and over again repeatedly to make a point?

So, I did lots of Push Ups. I never made it to 100, but that's OK. I don't really believe I care about making it to 100. I did increase the number I could do so I'm more fit than I was before. But also was more bored. So, trying a different program starting next week. I firmly believe I need to do some cross training stuff. I just am working on finding some that I don't hate. There's a deck of cards work out that I think might be good. It won't be too repetitious and will work a variety of muscle groups. I'll tweak the system as I do it and post what I settle on in here as I do it. A friend of mine told me about it when I was talking about doing the 100 Push Up program and how boring it was. He suggested that while this one wasn't super exciting happy fun time at least it was mixed up a bit.

No comments: