Monday, February 21, 2011

Book Review: I Am Number Four

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


You know how they say about many movies made from a book "the book was better?"
If that's the case here do NOT see the movie!
OK. That's kind of harsh... sorry. Maybe the movie will be good.

The part that got to me was the whole book, MUCH of the book is building to something that happens in the final chapter and BOOM the book's done.

There's these bad guys who are really really bad... when they're described it's sort of throw-away description and the sense of being chased that is supposed to be there in the front three quarters of the book? There's no chase. There's no tension. There's no edge of the seat...

I can see the book being a short run tv series maybe. It's got love interest, high school angst, rebellious youth, and a wild party while the parents are away... it's got all the ingredients of an 80s movie come to think of it... plus monsters, kind of.

Anyway. I finished the book. That was my goal. I liked the idea of the story but with as much buildup to something there was no real pay off, and there wasn't any real resolution. The ham-handed envelope at the end... wooo.... gonna have to read book 2 to see what's in there. That would have worked if I'd cared about any of the characters in the story, as it is... it may as well be a clearinghouse sweepstakes letter. *shrug* I'll be fair, maybe there was something in the envelope that I missed. By the time it came up I could see the end of the book and I was sprinting for the end as fast as I could go just trying to get it over with.

2 comments:

Queen of the Universe said...

Blech, thanks for the info. I was debating this. The guy kinda weirds me out (he's also out in another young adult movie, Beastly) if you know anything about his personal life -- just, weird. I am not a judgemental person but something seems a bit off and I just don't see it. Heard the same about the book Beastly so I am gonna steer clear of both.

Rich G said...

OH! That's the Million Little Pieces guy from the Oprah Book Club debacle! Seems he's written a lot of fiction lol