Friday, August 03, 2012

Sugar is everywhere!

I've been doing the Atkins diet for weeks now, maybe six weeks? I can't remember.
Atkins, if you haven't heard of it, is a low-carb diet that focuses on limiting carbs, not caring about calories or fat.
I started doing it as a way of keeping my blood sugar in line with where I thought it should be. My family medical history has diabetes in it and I'm not there and don't want to be there. Diabetes is like rust on your internal organs and it's cumulative. I don't want chronic damage to my insides happening while I'm not looking and "just a little diabetic" is, to me, like being "just a little pregnant." Damage is damage. "Just a little diabetic" means the damage is happening slower but do I really want my guts rusting? Even slowly? Not if there's something I can do about it.
So I'm watching carbs and one of the biggest things that makes carbs show up in food is sugar. Processed sugar is the most common. I'm including High fructose corn syrup as a processed sugar because it's processed and a sugar so it counts.
Sugar is EVERYWHERE. Famous Dave's has a delicious variety of meats that I really like. Their brisket, a cut of meat that when it comes off the cow has zero carbs in it and is delicious but the way Famous Dave's makes it has 30g of carbs & 10g of sugars. 30g of carbs was my total carb allowance for the day when I ate it. I was wog-boggled. It was the first time I became really aware with just how obsessed we are with sugar as a primary flavor in our food.
In 2003 Iowa's childhood obesity rate was 12%. In 2007 it was 25%. It doubled in 4 years. (Source). It's been going up since then. Looking around I can tell you that the fat kids are growing up to be fat adults. Target recently changed their sizes, what used to be a large in kid's clothing is now a medium. The kid is still fat but now (s)he won't FEEL fat.
You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but flies don't live that long. I don't think we should aspire to their lifespan and dietary habits.


No comments: