Wednesday, December 10, 2014

New Favorite Low-Carb Recipe

I'm not sure how I found this recipe but it became an instant hit at the house and is my favorite... so favorite I immediately made it again to take to work for lunches.

Slow Cooker Pepperoni & Chicken over on the SkinnyMom blog is delicious. Seriously, and easy too.

Go to Skinny Mom's blog to get the actual recipe. What I'm going to do is describe it. Start with a crock pot, any size, and layer the bottom with one layer of chicken breasts. On top of that I deviated from the recipe because I had no chicken broth so I dumped half a can of tomato sauce and about the same amount of water over the chicken. No, I didn't mix it.. either time. I dumped. On top of that I sprinkled Italian seasonings from McCormick I think, until it looked right. Next I dealt pepperoni onto the mess like they were cards and I was covering the whole thing in them. Slap on the lid, turn on the crock pot and enjoy as the house starts to smell like pizza is cooking. Six hours went by as it cooked on low and the roomie finally woke up (he works nights, and I had to wait for him to wake up enough to feel like something decidedly unbreakfast like for his breakfast) I put some cheese on it, generous amounts of shredded mozzarella and put the lid back on while I steamed some broccoli which I sprinkled with lemon pepper and then dumped more shredded cheese on as I plated the rest the cheese mostly melted.

It. Was. Delicious! Cut it with a fork chicken, the spices were perfect, the whole thing, seriously great. My hat's off to Skinny Mom and I love this recipe. Low carb, delicious, and easy... also, relatively inexpensive.

Note: The recipe on the site calls for black olives but a) I didn't have any and b) I had no clue what I'd do with the other 3/4 of a can of black olives this would have left me with so even if I had had them I probably would have left them out. I just can't see throwing away that many olives and I don't eat them enough to justify the expense. Roomie says he'd eat the rest of the can just with a fork... if he buys 'em I'll use 'em I guess, but I'm not going to buy them. Not worth it to me. Bacon would be worth it to me... not black olives.

Note: The knife was completely unnecessary. I didn't know that when I grabbed it. Seriously tender and delicious. Make this. You won't regret it.

No comments: