Wednesday, December 08, 2010

NaNoWriMo 2010: Done

I've had people ask about when I was going to post more of the story I wrote for NaNoWriMo 2010 and the short answer is I've decided I need to put more in, in the middle of the story. That means if I post the end you'll know how it ends without all of the story.

Now, I don't know that the end won't change. I didn't know the story until I wrote it to be honest.

So I'm torn between posting it as it ended with NaNo 2010 or waiting until I've fleshed out the middle... I guess I'll see if there are any comments here with an opinion one way or the other.

My feelings on the story?
I liked it. I liked the characters and I liked the character development. It ended too quickly. I know that sounds silly since I wrote it, but I'd never intended the story to be the story of the town as much as the story of the three boys and how they changed. The events in the town were to serve as more of a backdrop, much like WW2 serves as a backdrop for stories set during that time. The protagonists don't typically impact the war itself so much as have it happen around them and we, as the audience watch how it changes them and how they grow as characters. My reader response has been "but what about the town" which means I've left too many unanswered questions. I'll need to fix that in the additions I'm wanting to add. I still haven't read it. I won't read it until sometime in 2011 and then I'll write the parts I think that need to be added. I've got some of it growing in my head now as it ferments in there. I can't call it a book or a novel. It's far too short. It's got, in the words of one of my readers, the character development of a novel in the length of a longish short-story. That to me means it hasn't made up my mind what it is yet. I'll need to sort that out as well.

Comments? Suggestions? Requests?
(If you want a copy of how it stands right now post a message in the comments or e-mail me asking for it and I'll pdf it to you.)

1 comment:

Queen of the Universe said...

I am in the EXACT same position. Maybe that is why people end up with 100,000 words and have to edit down. I am trying to decide if I want to bother it or if I want to try to get it to an editor to make that decision.