Saturday, March 06, 2010

Running out of steam

My running lately has been sort of blah. I do it, and keep doing it because I remember that I enjoy it. Lately though I haven't been enjoying it as much. I keep doing it because I enjoy how I feel after exercising, but it may as well be considered a cardio workout as much as it is a run. My times aren't as good as they were a month ago, and my motivation is lacking. I think it's the tedium of the treadmill that's doing it. I got to run outside once, and that was nice, but I'm mostly on the treadmill lately. While I think it's increasing my general fitness level, or at least maintaining it from where it was when I was doing C25k, I don't think my running is actually GOING anywhere.

I worried this would happen when I finished C25k. Without a specific target in mind I sort of feel at loose ends. On Jan 1st I ran that virtual 5k and hit my under 30 minute goal for a 5k and those were my only two real goals. I wanted under half hour 5k time and wanted to finish C25k. Both done. Leaving me with a vague "Now what" feeling that I haven't shaken yet. Combine that with my not liking treadmills much (but prefer them to not running at all I have to qualify) and my not being willing to do more than half an hour on a treadmill and I'm at a wall.

I am considering doing C25k again, but with the times walking spent running at a comfortable pace, and the times running at a faster pace. Maybe that will help with keeping me motivated as well as giving me moving targets that will show progress that keeps me motivated.

Not sure what I'll do, but it's sort of why I haven't been on here much lately.

No comments: