Monday, November 24, 2008

Non-standard spelling hell

Here's the thing... I really thought "Icarus" was spelled "Icharus." I've talked to other people who thought that as well. I find books named that when I search it using google. The thing is though... it's a non-standard spelling. Ugh. Glad I registered a non-standard spelling domain name. Now nobody will be able to find me.


The story of Icharus (spelled that way from now on so just accept it as a personal quirk, and unless you speak Greek you can't prove I'm not right anyway so pththththt) has always been a favorite of mine. I'm pretty sure there's all sorts of reasons for it.


He therefore resolved to make his escape, and for this purpose ingeniously contrived wings for himself and his young son Icharus, whom he diligently trained how to use them. Having awaited a favourable opportunity, father and son commenced their flight, and were well on their way when Icharus, pleased with the novel sensation, forgot altogether his father's oft-repeated injunction not to approach too near the sun. The consequence was that the wax, by means of which his wings were attached, melted, and he fell into the sea and was drowned.

from DÆDALUS and ICHARUS 

 I love that story. Obviously there are longer versions out there, but almost everybody knows enough of the story for that to remind them of it.

No comments: