Sunday, January 04, 2009

Netbook: Part 1

IMG_1558

I got a netbook for Christmas and I’m fond of it so far. I got the Acer Aspire One. It’s windows based, unlike my MacBook Pro, which I love. It’s less than a notebook, but more than a PDA. It is great for work, and I’m going on a two week long work trip to Los Angeles, California so I thought this was the perfect time to use this as my primary computer to really put it through it’s paces.

I’m without my gaming computer… who thought any apple machine would ever be referred to as a gaming system. Compared to the Acer Aspire One though it’s a gaming machine. I immediately started applying myself to filling the 160Gig hard drive by installing the portable app versions of my favorite programs, OpenOffice.org’s alternative to Microsoft’s Office Suite, Firefox, and finally a version of Google’s Chrome browser since I don’t have a Mac version yet.

So, over the next few days I’ll be talking about how I am using this thing and what I’m doing differently since I see this as a satellite computer to the MacBook Pro main computer that is at home now. I’m going to work hard to do as much in the cloud as I can. What isn’t actively done IN the cloud will be stored there via dropbox.

Look for a few days worth of work talk and Netbook talk. I’ll keep them as separate posts so you can tell right away whether or not you’re interested.

No comments: