Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hardest run to date

CaptureToday’s run was the suck. It was Week 5, Day 3 and it was supposed to be 20 minutes of uninterupted running with a five minute warm-up and five minute cool-down.

That would have been my longest run yet. My previous longest runs were 2 8 minute runs with a break in between of 2 minutes. I was in South Dakota and it’d snowed and I didn’t know where anywhere good to run was so I foolishly decided I could do it on a treadmill. I should have known better.

I ran 10 minutes before taking a 2 minute break and then running the last 8 minutes of the twenty-minute run. I just didn’t have it in me to do it on the treadmill. My shins and calves hurt after the first five minutes. I’ve got to figure that out. My pace was steady, obviously, a treadmill, duh. I’m not sure what the deal was. I tried varying the incline as well to see if that would help, but it didn’t.

Lucky me tonight’s hotel room got the upgrade to a hot-tub suite so I iced after I ran then hit the hot-tub and then iced again afterwards. I’ll ice one more time before I go to bed. I will repeat Week 4 I think before doing Week 5 again. It sucks to go backwards, but I was dying today on the ‘mill.

Next week is travel for work to long meetings in Denver and I’m not sure if there is a dreadmill in the hotel and I’m not sure how I’d do running in their rarified air so not sure what will happen next week. Glad Sunday and Monday are recovery days though. Monday’s a travel day by air so the first day I’ll have to figure out for working out is on Tuesday. We’ll see what happens then.

Until then. Ice is my friend.

No comments: