Thursday, October 15, 2009

Treadmill time

199747855_6f2219703eToday I ran on the treadmill at the hotel. Two problems immediately hit me about the treadmill. Firstly: I don’t run as far as when I run on the ground and second, my shins hurt after running on the treadmill.

I think that I run faster when I run on the ground. On the treadmill I’m heel striking more… I think sort of braking as I run because the speed isn’t what I normally run. On the other hand, I’d LIKE to run that pace. I set it today at 10 minute miles. I need to learn that pace. I’m going to be off for the next two days. No running at all. Then when I’m in hotels I’ll be doing that pace when I’m on the running parts. It’s not a super pace but it’s a good pace for me I think as a beginning runner. I could be wrong. I still can’t find what a good pace is on the internet.

I’m closing the book on week three of the couch to 5k training. I did it an extra day already. I’m ready to move on to week 4. Today I was on the phone and missed the prompt to stop running and walk so I accidentally ran further than I was supposed to. If I’d been running as fast as I normally run I probably would have noticed but I didn’t notice. I was fine with it. My breathing was OK. The only problem I had was my left shin. Two days off will help that. My Sunday run will be on the ground so that won’t hurt it. I’ll figure out what to do about treadmills. It may be that I get some minimalist shoes for the treadmill.

*the picture is from maHidoodi. Go check out his flickr stream.

No comments: