Monday, June 27, 2011

That went better than I thought it would

I've talked about the Mother In Lawish trying to sabotage my weight loss goals before.  I don't think she does it on purpose, but I'm not a hundred percent on that one. I was never sure how to talk about it with her but it was certainly bugging me. Sunday I had a long drive with her, just her, in the car and I decided to broach it on the way back. She climbed into the car and dropped a ziploc bag of home made and certainly delicious chocolate chip cookies in the center console. "You'd said you wanted me to bring you some so I did for the trip." There were at least 8 of them, as big as saucers. No exaggeration on number or size. I nodded and we went on our trip. When offered a cookie I said, "Not right now. Thank you though."

On the way back I used the cookies as the conversation starter, "What I'd said was that you often brought those cookies on trips and that I'd enjoyed them. I was suggesting them to someone else. I don't need any. Thank you though. Remember when I quit smoking?"

She nodded her agreement. "I'm glad you did too."

"Would you offer me a cigarette when I was trying to quit?" Now, she doesn't smoke so the question doesn't make much sense really.

She pulled a face, "No!"

"Then why do you bring cookies when I'm trying to lose weight? Why when we have dinner at your house and I ask for half a piece of pie or whatever the dessert is do you always give me a whole piece? It makes me not want to go over. I eat it out of fear of hurting your feelings. I think not going hurts your feelings to, but what about my feelings? I just want half a piece of dessert. It's not a punishment that I ONLY get half. it's a treat that I DO get half. The rest of the week I don't eat desserts. Only yours. You make excellent desserts... But I swear I've lost the same pound 13 times. It's getting mail sent to my ass."

We sat in silence for a while, "I'm very careful about what I make when you're coming over. I make sure there's a vegetable in it." More silence. "I guess I can just start making desserts I know you won't like."

*sigh* At least she's still talking to me. I have GOT to get rid of the last five pounds. It's only five pounds! ARGH!

No comments: