Sunday, September 16, 2012

Mini-Vacation Camping Go bag



Friday I sent my book off to the editor and took off on a mini-vacation that involved camping with friends, reading a bunch of stuff on my kindle and drinking prodigious amounts of coffee cooked over a campfire/camp-stove.
I slept outside. I ate outside. I cooked outside. Yes, once at 3AM I even peed outside. I'm sorry, but it was dark, cold, and the inside place to go do that was much much MUCH further away than the little stream that was just down the hill from my tent.
I love to camp when I'm there. Getting me to put everything I'm going to need for the time I'll be away into the car and actually GOING camping, that's a chore. It's not as much of a chore for me as it is for most people I camp with. I have a camping go bag that's got all my camping essentials in it.

Camping go bag.

  • 3 season tent
  • Tarp
  • Flannel sleeping pants
  • Sleeping bag 
  • hammer
  • first aid kit (to which I added water treatment drops, aspirin, zyrtec, saline solution)
  • inflatable air mattress (1" tall)
  • pillow
  • multi-tool
  • nylon rope
  • bug-spray
  • sun-block
  • mess kit with plastic spork & coffee cup.
  • weather radio (self-powered 2/ USB Charger for phone/kindle)
All I have to do is grab that, the camp stove, wood for a fire, coffee and the coffee pot and I'm ready. Yeah. food needs to happen too but that's easy for me. One good thing about Atkins is it makes cooking easy sometimes. Hamburgers w/ no buns and eggs are doable for meals. Bacon works to make sure the eggs don't stick to the pan when I'm cooking them. Bottled water by the gallon (for coffee) and the case for drinking through the day and I'm done.

I always sleep better the second night when camping. The first night I sleep lightly. By the second night I'm used to the different noises. This weekend one of the noises was raccoons eating the hotdog buns someone left out. Not me! No grains for me. :)

No comments: