Monday, November 24, 2014

Low-Carb Cooking: Flax Meal Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting

I've been doing low-carb for a long time and one of the things that I crave is desserts and pastries. I'm not a big bread person but who doesn't love a cupcake? One recipe that I see a lot are low-carb flax meal muffins made in a cup in the microwave and they've always been a little... flaxy. I decided to play with the recipe a little and try and make it a dessert.

I started with the recipe linked to above and modified it. I used cinnamon in it, about half a tea-spoon and added 4 Tablespoons of Stevia and nuked it for about a minute 40. It rises up really tall, but don't panic, it calms down and gets back down in the cup where it belongs.

While it was cooking I stirred a little over an ounce of cream cheese, some of Penzey's double strength vanilla, just a splash, and a splash of almond milk along with 3 Tablespoons of Stevia. It stirred up pretty thinly, not thick like a frosting but more like a glaze like you'd find on a cinnamon roll.

As soon as the cup was out of the microwave I dumped it onto a paper plate and let it cool for a bit before scraping the frosting onto it. When I cut it with the fork and ate it it was light and not packy and the cinnamon and frosting helped to tone down the nuttiness of the flax meal that typically bugs me with things made with flax meal. I think this would be really good with a banana and walnuts chopped into it. Maybe some banana extract in the frosting instead of vanilla.

I'm a fan of low-carb because I feel good when I'm on it and my bloodwork from the doctor's point of view is consistently good and better than before I was on Atkins. I'm happy when I find something good enough to share.

No comments: