Thursday, November 12, 2009

Cross-training thoughts

I've been running for weeks now. I'm starting Week 6 of the Couch to 5k program soon. I've just finished Week 5 and I'm feeling really good about it so far. I'm enjoying myself and haven't petered out yet. Winter will be the real test and I want to do something on my non-running days. I'm not experienced enough of a runner yet to run every day and I worry about injury and an injury would stop me from running and I may not pick it up again so I don't want that. I'll do it every other day just like the program tells me to.

So, I'm looking for something to do on my off days and all the things I've read tell me that runners should cross train some anaerobic exercise along with their aerobic exercise of running. Here's the thing. I travel and I'm not buying any stuff. I won't lift heavy things. I won't carry them around with me and I feel ridiculous with a bag of rubber bands. Don't ask how I know. I just know.

So, that leaves me with the Internet as a way of working out. Yes. You heard me right. I'm going to lift the Internet! OK. That's not what I meant at all. I found the Couch to 5k program online and I figure I should be able to find another exercise program online as well that meets my criteria. And I have found two of them. 100 push ups and 200 sit ups. Both of those things are free, shouldn't take a terrible amount of time, won't work muscles I need for running and won't involve huge monetary investments.

So, I'll start one or both of those soon and my exercise regime will be complete and I'll have so much time taken up with chiseling this body into an Adonis like condition that I'll have to quit my job and live off the land. Not really. Just seeing if anybody was still reading this far down. So, time to go over to Google docs and make with the tracking sheets for all these work-out plans. I need a tab for running, push-ups, and sit-ups it appears. I look forward to it.

No comments: